dss message

Subject: Text as required by action 06-06-05-02

Dear all,

According to what we agreed in our last conf call below follow proposals
for changes in the core so that
signature time-stamps in XML management refers to XAdES.

While re-reading the related parts I have also noticed some things that
I think should be changed.

Below follows the list of things that I propose we should change. There
are references to line numbers and
sections. After that I make a cross-check with some of the comments
raised in the public comments list so that
we can agree whether they are suitably treated by the proposed text.
Please note that I am working on CD 4 document.

------------------------------------

1. Section 3.5.2 line 1025. Page 26.

Original text: "In particular the DSS XAdES profile [DSS-XAdES-P]..."

Proposed text: "In particular the DSS AdES profile [DSS-AdES-P]..."

RATIONALE: The title of the profile has actually changed to AdES as it
contains details for XAdES and CAdES
signatures. The reference itself should also be changed. See note for
change at the end of the list.

-------------------------------------

2. Section 3.5.2 line 1038. Page 26

Original text: "Two scenarios for the timestamping of CMS sigantures are
supported...."

Proposed text: "Two scenarios for the timestamping of both CMS and XML
sigantures are supported...."

RATIONALE: Certainly the cores is supporting the timestamping of both
types of signatures. Not mentioning
the XML signature would be misleading.

-------------------------------------

3. Section 3.5.2.2 lines 1068 to 1072 page 27

Proposal. Substitute the whole paragraph from these lines to the
following one:

"The present specification defines a format for XML timestamp tokens. In
addition
XAdES defines a mechanism for incorporating signature timestamps in XML
signatures.
The present document mandates that signature timestamps in XML
format MUST follow the syntax defined in section 5.1 of this document.
These time-stamp
tokens MUST be added to XML signatures as specified by XAdES."

RATIONALE: This text clearly indicates our resolution, ie:

	. Any XML time-stamp over the signature is created, MUST follow the
syntax that we define;
	. Incorporation must be as specified in XAdES.

-------------------------------------

4. Section 3.5.2.2 line 1078, page 27

Original text: "urn:ietf:rfc:3275"

Proposed text: "urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema:XMLTimeStampToken"

RATIONALE: I think that the previous value was a mistake: it identified
a XML signature, not the XML time-stamp
token, as it must do.

-------------------------------------

5. Section 4.3.2 line 1524 page 37

Original text: "XML signature timestamp tokens"

Proposed text: "XML time-stamps tokens on XML sigantures."

RATIONALE: Actually the case that we are dealing with is the signature
time-stamp token in XML syntax for
XML signatures, and the former text was not completelly clear on what
was XML the signature, the time-stamp
or both. I think that the proposed text is clearer.

-------------------------------------

6. Section 4.3.2 line 1528, page 37

Original text: "the DSS XAdES profile defines"

Proposed text: "the DSS AdES profile [DSS-AdES-P] defines"

RATIONALE: As in proposal 1.

-------------------------------------

7. Section 4.3.2.2 line 1556 page 38

Original text: "Processing for XML timestamp tokens"

Proposed text: "Processing for XML time-stamps tokens on XML sigantures."

RATIONALE: In the line of what I said in proposal 6.

-------------------------------------

8. Section 4.3.2.2 line 1157, page 38

Original text: "The present setion describes the processing rules for
verifying and XML Signature timestamp
token embedded within an XML signature as an unsigned property."

Proposed text 1 : "The present setion describes the processing rules for
verifying and XML Signature timestamp
token embedded within an XML signature using the incorporation
mechanisms specified in XAdES."

Proposed text 1 : "The present setion describes the processing rules for
verifying and XML Signature timestamp
token embedded within an XML signature using the incorporation
mechanisms specified in XAdES (i.e., in the
<xades:XMLTimeStamp> <xades:SignatureTimeStamp> element's child )."

RATIONALE: As agreed explicit mention to XAdES as for how the XML
time-stamp must come within the XML signature.
The only doubt I have is about the degree of detail. That is why there
are two proposed text, being the second
more detailed, as it explicitly mentions where the XML time-stamp token
will appear... We can talk on them in
the conf call.

A. PROPOSALS FOR CHANGES

-------------------------------------

9. Section 4.3.2.2 line 1573, page 38

Original text: "Verify that one of the <ds:Reference> element has ...."

Proposed text: "Verify that one of the <ds:Reference> elements has ...."

RATIONALE: It must be plural.

-------------------------------------

10. Section 4.3.2.2 line 1585 to 1592, page 39

Original text: the whole steps 7 and 8

Proposed text:

"7. Take each of the other <ds:Reference> elements and for each one
proceed to its validation as specified in [XMLSig].

8. Check that for one of the <ds:Reference> elements the retrieved data
object is actually
the <ds:SignatureValue> element and that it contains its digest after
canonicalization.

9. Set the <dss:Result> element as appropiate"

RATIONALE: The former text was inconsitent with the text in 1571, where
we said "the <ds:SignedInfo>
contains at least two <ds:Reference> elements". Former step 7 began
"Take the other <ds:Reference>" when
there could actually be more than one.

ADDITIONAL ISSUE: I would like to bring your attention to the proposed
text in step 8. I tried to say that
one of the <ds:Reference> elements must contain the digest of the
canonicalized <ds:SigantureValue> value. Do
you think that the writing is accurate and clear enough?.

-------------------------------------

11. Section 8, Line 2051. Page 24.

Original text: "[DSS-XAdES-P] JC cruellas et al. DSS XAdES Profile.
OASIS, April 2006"

Proposed text: "[DSS-AdES-P] JC cruellas et al. "Advanced Electronic
Signature Profiles of the OASIS Digital Signature Service" "

B. CROSS-CHECK WITH COMMENTS:

-------------------------------------

1. COMMENT BY INMA MARIN OF MAY 16TH.

She says "there is no indication on how a <SignRequest> should be
created so as to get the timestamping of an existing
XML signature from the DSS server".

a. Line 1038 in 3.5.2, changed as suggested in proposal 2 would read

"Two scenarios for the timestamping of both CMS and XML sigantures are
supported...."

It is pretty clear now the the core actually supports XML signatures
timestamping.

b. Lines 1075 to 1077 (untouched) read

"In scenario b) the incoming signature MUST be passed in on one of the
following three elements
<EscapedXML>, <InlineXML> or <Base64XML>"

this instructs readers on how to include the XML signature in the request.

c. New line 1077-1078 changed as suggested in proposal 4 will read:

"The Type attribute of the <AddTimeStamp> optional input SHALL be set to:
	urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema:XMLTimeStampToken"

There was a wrong URI here, the one of XMLSig, which contributed to
increase confusion here....

I think that with the two highligthed  changes it should be pretty clear
how to request a XML timestamp on a XML signature.

Regards

Juan Carlos.