dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] DSS Policy wise server Profile

Nick, All,

I’m very interested in the “policy” issues regarding DSS protocol. By now, we have identified several kinds of policies, like Service Policies (included in DSS core) and Signature Policies (somewhat included in the policy wise profile and in the XSS profile I’ve proposed early this year).

The needs I’ve detected so far regarding policies are

*Clients to instruct the server to act under some specific policy or policies (i.e. a server policy only or a server policy and a signature policy). This can imply passing the identifiers of the different policies or the entire policy documents.

*Clients to ask the server to provide the policy or policies they’re operating under.  This can imply the server returning identifiers of the different policies or the entire policy documents.

When I say that the server can operate under several policies, I don’t want to express that a concrete request is going to be served under several service policies. Of course, a request should be only served under a specific service policy at a time (however, this does not imply that a concrete user has to request always the same service policy).

What I want to express is that normally the policies are more or less a hierarchical thing: you have one or more service policies, and each service policy could allow the user to select different signature policies, cryptographic policies, evidence policies, archival policies, … That’s why I’ve introduced the concept of “sub-policy” some time ago.

The semantics for that is as follows (this is the case for a client asserting policies to a server): “ok, I want you to serve me under this “highly-reliable” service policy, and I want to verify this signature under this specific signature policy. The digital evidence policy you’re going to use when capturing, managing and retaining evidences generated from the verification process is this evidence policy…”

However, I agree that this are a pretty advanced usage, but I would like this “policy” issue to be resolved in a consistent (not to have 10 optional inputs one for each kind of policy) and extensible manner (different implementations can use different kinds of policies, simple implementations could even use no policies or only “service policy”). IMHO, our mission regarding policies in DSS core should be to establish a framework that allow clients/servers to pass back and forth policy information (as usual, profiles could define specific processing semantics for specific kinds of policies). I’ve made a proposal in that direction in one of my latest mails (point 4 of http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200607/msg00020.html, the schema should be extended if we also want to include entire policy documents, not only policy URIs).

I would be in favour of eliminating this “Policy Wise Profile” if we consider what to do with these policy issues. If there’s no time to do it now, we could consider the introduction of this issue in the DSS Issues Document for further consideration.

Best Regards,

Carlos