ebcore message

Subject: RE: [ebcore] AMQP and ebXML messaging?

I have encountered AMQP proponents and evangelists (!) several times over the last few years, and have heard a presentation on it from an original contributer.

Actually it seemed to me that AMQP was more concerned with supplementing ordinary internet protocols with message queues, as the acronym suggests.

For example, fixed length message headers were typically used partly out of concern with overflow attacks.

Binary representations were sometimes used instead of XML to avoid XML parser attacks. Etc.

So I would guess you could layer a SOAP infoset on top of AMQP if you wanted to. I really think that AMQP is maybe an alternative to FTP, SMTP and HTTP for business data exchange and is not very high up on the collaboration protocol layering.

If it is payload neutral, we can layer ebMS 3.0 payloads over it. I see no real reason to think AMQP is not neutral in this respect. If we wanted to we could work out the Transport details for AMQP and layer over it. Do you see any interest in that? My impression is that they were going for high performance on high volumes of short messages, which is not the normal sweet spot for the ebXML OASIS layers.

Dale Moberg

In researching TWIST I tripped over the related work on AMQP

The banking industry of course has a long history of inventing messaging that only they use.

However they claim interoperability with SOAP in this case - but when you look at their business objectives - it looks like they are re-inventing the ebMS wheel.

So the question I have is - has anyone else looked at this AMQP stuff - and is it compatible with ebMS - particularly V3.0?

Obviously if implementers can send ebMS exchanges across AMQP infrastructure seamlessly then this is less problematic.

Thanks, DW