ebcore message

Subject: ISOL next steps with JTC1 (interim update)]

FYI,

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [election-services] EML next steps with JTC1 (interim update)
From: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
Date: Sat, April 04, 2009 7:13 pm
To: John Borras <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: 'Laurent Liscia' <laurent.liscia@oasis-open.org>, 'Carol
Cosgrove-Sacks' <Carol.Cosgrove-Sacks@oasis-open.org>, James Bryce Clark
<jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>, EML TC
<election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

This is an interim report on our OASIS submission arrangements with
ISO/IEC JTC1, which as you know the Elections TC hopes to use later
this year.

We talked earlier about JTC1's wide-ranging debates over how
external submissions like the "PAS" submissions from OASIS are
handled. We discussed this at your meeting, when you considered the
state of EML v5, and the TC decided to hold any request for JTC1
submission until your next major version, EML v6, expected later
this calendar year.

Since then, the JTC1 leadership has asked us to visit with the
leaders of one relevant subcommittee, SC34, which we have done in a
series of meetings, and worked out some possible ground rules for
future handling of versions, errata, and the like,. These
recommendations are being provided both to JTC1 (who will act to
formally accept them in June or thereabouts). Shortly I expect to
hear back from the just-completed SC34 meetings in Prague, where
they were planning to endorse those principles in writing.

At the same time we are working on the same issues with the OASIS
Board of Directors, who created a committee (on which I sit) to
review and revise our own rules for these submissions. Their work
should be done within a month, and I will report it to you. It is
my hope that they will adopt the same basic principles that JTC1
plans to recommend. So far the two groups seem to be converging
nicely on common solutions. The Board is considering what other
rules and requirements it wishes to apply, because the Liaison
Policy (covering external submissions) has not been reviewed for
several years; as I mentioned to you when we spoke, we should know
shortly whether any other rules or plans will come from that review.

I think we're still on the course predicted when we spoke earlier
this year: by the time your committee has v6 ready to go, we should
have a commonly-understood and updated set of submission and
cooperation rules to use as well.

Thanks for all of the work you are putting into EML, and we'll look
forward to working with you to advance it once the current version
is ready.

Kind regards Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark