ebcore message

Subject: RE: [ebcore] Groups - PartyIdType-1.0 v0_4.odt uploaded

Title: Re: [ebcore] Groups - PartyIdType-1.0 v0_4.odt uploaded

Comments inline.

From: Sander Fieten [mailto:sander@fieten-it.com]
Sent: 31 March 2010 09:12
To: ebcore@lists.oasis-open.org

From the earlier e-mails I understand that (part of) the purpose of this spec is to provide a formal URN notation for PartyId type. I already noted earlier that the oasis NID is formally to used for identifying document from OASIS TC’s. When we discussed this earlier it was said the proposed urn are acceptable for OASIS, but is this still the case If the formal aspect is important?

Why are different notations used for the ISO6523 scheme? Why not only specifiy urn:oasis:names:tc:ebcore:partyid-type:iso6523:<ICD of catalog> ? I think this would make the specification clearer as there’s only one notation for each catalog.

This is because of the history of this spec.  There are communities that use the variants. We want to continue to support them, although the notation based "iso6523" is the most concise one.

And also mentioned earlier I would prefer the scheme part of the urn not to be restricted to the three registries now described but just leave it open to users.

This is fully supported via branches of the "unregistered" case.  It is important to distinguish the three internationally standardized catalogues from arbitrary other homegrown or proprietary catalogues. If communities want a formal URN and want to use this spec but don't like to be in an "unregistered" branch, let them go to IANA themselves and register their own NID.

Regards,
Sander