ebcore message

Subject: Re: [ebcore] Groups - PartyIdType-1.0 v0_4.odt uploaded

Title: Re: [ebcore] Groups - PartyIdType-1.0 v0_4.odt uploaded
Pim,

I know that there’re different form to indicate the same catalog [within the ISO6523 scheme] in the legacy notation with the “ebxml-cppa” prefix. But what I don’t understand is why we should “port” all these notation to the new “ebcore” prefix. If parties have to make a conversion they can also convert to one new uniform notation. As I already mentioned I think this makes it more uniform and easier to use.

Furthermore I don’t know if the oasis NID should be used if people want a formal URN for identifying the catalog. As I mentioned earlier the formal oasis namespace is to be used for identification of documents created by OASIS. It isn’t meant to identify registries outside of OASIS. I think this is relevant when the formal aspect of the URN’s  is important to users. I would also expect that the organisations that maintain these registries should have interest in registering a namespace for themselves. In my opinion that would be the right way to create formal URN’s. The oasis based URN could help to create uniform URN’s but not formal ones.

Regards,
Sander

On 31/03/2010 21:47, "Pim Eijk, van der" <pvde@sonnenglanz.net> wrote:

Inline.

From: Sander Fieten [mailto:sander@fieten-it.com]
Sent: 31 March 2010 17:47
To: ebcore@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Pim,

You write that the different notations for the ISO6523 are historically grown. But since we define a new prefix  here using “ebcore” instead of “ebxml-cppa" I would think this only applies to the old prefix. With the new prefix we can define just one notation to make it easier to construct URN’s for ISO6523 registered catalogs and make the URN’s more consistent with the general scheme used for the other registries.

Previously in the CPPA days we provided three options to specificy an ISO 6523 identifier.  The URN is updated since we are now ebCore, plus there are the other two catalogs added.  We don't know which of the three options users of ISO 6523 catalog would prefer to use in the "ebcore" prefix.  I proposed the"iso6523" prefix in the CPA days, and it is probably my preference. But the other notations were the ones originally proposed, so there may be other opinions. Since we don't know those opinions, the safe option is to support all three options.   It is also easier to spec it this way:  Section 2.2 describes the process, and section 2.6 basically says: it is OK to substitute "ebxml-cppa" for "ebcore".  Anything different would cause the spec (to appear to be) more complex.   And supporting the current spec is trivial effort, as any implementers just need to load a code list. We can do the work for them: see the attachment (derived from Dale's work of August last year).

Of course other catalogs and schemes can be defined using the “unregistered” prefix or register their own URN namespace. But doesn’t that also apply for the three schemes in the spec. If there is a need to have a formal URN for these registries shouldn’t they apply for a formal namespace with IANA?

Yes, because there are users that have expressed an interest in these three catalogs and in using the "oasis" NID for it. These three catalogs are ISO standards that are widely used and that we can support without any concern. This whole exercise was about supporting these users.  This spec allows us to identify hundreds of millions of businesses, so I doubt this spec will need to be updated in the next few years.   But if there is a need, we can review it for future versions.  In the mean time,  let's not pollute the proposed namespace by adding a way to get any "bar" scheme in catalog "foo" in that is not explicitly tagged as "unregistered".

Regards
Sander