ebcore message

Subject: RE: [ebcore] ebBP Ontology

Long ago I promissed to provide feedback on your work,
apologies for a late reply.   I'm not an expert in OWL, but
am interested in ebBP and have used it (but only in a very
limited way) for some projects in the past.

In the document "ebBP ontology",  you list some competency
questions.  Most of these questions are fairly basic. They
could also be answered by evaluation of Xpath expressions on
ebBP XML documents.  To show the added value of a reasoning
model over process models,  it would be interesting to see
if it can help answer some more advanced questions.

Example 1:  ebBP elements define choreographed business
transactions and support parallelism.  The transitions are
expressed by XML references.  When there is a fork to some
parallel sub-flows (possibly complex flows themselves),
there needs to be a join somewhere where all paths through
the embedded process graph meet again.  Is it possible to
express this constraint using OWL and DL query? The ebBP XSD
isn't able to express this, beyond checking that referenced
IDs exist in the ebBP instance.

Example 2:  one application for ebBP is run-time monitoring,
and there is a separate TC in OASIS that is looking at
monitoring e-business flows.  Would the OWL representation
of a process support monitoring?  For example, based on a
trace of timestamped received or sent messages, is it
possible to write a DL Query to compute the expected next
message and its timing?

Pim