Subject: Re: [ebsoa] Process-Oriented Architectures (POA)

John.

+1

You said this much better than I!

Thanks, DW.

p.s. I'll avoid car metaphors in future!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yunker, John" <yunker@amazon.com>
To: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>; "David RR Webber"
<david@drrw.info>
Cc: "ebSOA" <ebsoa@lists.oasis-open.org>; "Monica J. Martin"
<monica.martin@sun.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:17 AM

Joe, You are right that the process layer depends on the services layer for
execution (and the services layer depends on the process layer for
coordination).  I guess that David's point is that the ebXML effort was
extremely focused on evaluating how the service and process layers work
together in an extensible manner -> what capabilities are necessary in the
service layer and process layer.

The electronic business services oriented architecture (ebSOA) is not a
"services architecture" (read services layer architecture), but instead the
electronic business architecture focused on the use of services as a means
to extensible and decoupled standard business practices (read business
process execution).

In that regard, I need to agree with David that BPM has been part of the
electronic business architecture (including service oriented
implementations) for a long time.

I completely recognize and agree with focusing both inside and outside the
ebXML framework, and agree that getting visibility to the importance of BPM
in the stack is essential to success.

Looking forward to working with you,

John