Subject: RE: [ebsoa] Process-Oriented Architectures (POA)

Duane writes:

"Another term that has recently gathered momentum is "event driven
architecture".   All SOA's are event driven by nature.  We may still
have to explain this."

Dale> I vote for changing "may" to "must" :-)

I could see a service invoked off a crontab schedule or batch as still a
service, but not everyone thinks of these as "event driven" services.

But if you count clock ticks as events, I suppose they could be viewed
as event driven! But that makes me wonder what "invokings" would _not_
be an event?

Or is the idea that a service is "there" ready to serve, but does not
provide the service until driven by an "event" of invoking. Is that what
"event driven" amounts to?  I suppose there might be some design and
architectural implications, such as there could be less "loading
latency" for services because they are always
ready/resident/listening... But it could be that the handlers for events
are loaded "on demand," so it is just a different way of loading and
kicking off a computational process. Not sure what the implications are
supposed to be.

How about some pointers to sources of momentum for "event driven" to
help the outsiders synch up with what you are getting at?