Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] eBusiness Metamodel EARLY DRAFT 0.03

Duane,

Phew - yuk!

I'd like to propose we start with a business-centric view first.

I'm not sure any of this implementation layer makes any sense
at all any more.  Having lived this for five years - this
UML diagram has an other-worldly old-story feel to it.

But I know you like it so that's OK - its a technologist
eye view on the relationships!

I believe we need to understand how the big picture
collaboration happens between components - to
serve the SOA goals - and be able to deliver that
for people too.

One things we've learned via BPSS work is handling
signals and events is critical - and I'm not sure that
aspect is "in there" in the UML - or even if UML can
do that well - from some of the comments on the BPSS
list.  I like especially JJ's post about the third wave of
software - that is message oriented (hence pi-calculus) -
and how the SOA needs to support that - and tools
like Microsoft XAML....yet provide a business
perspective.

Alot of what you've put in may just not be applicable / or
even work - for a given implementation - and its
impossible to decouple for people the way you have
it drawn.  I much prefer something like the Lubash
Pyramid - that shows the hierarchy without committing
to strict dependances.  The world is more sophisticated -
and handling PDAs and more in the picture - requires
more flexible architecture thinking - or at least something
people can grok conceptually - and be able to visually
relate to their project deployment model...

This time around I'd personally prefer to see more of
the business vision driving the technology implementation -
whereas before the OO / UMM / UML driver seemed
to tilt things too that technology side.

But you are right - it does provoke discussion!!!

DW.