Subject: Re: [regrep] NPO Tech Registry

Ed,

This seems more UDDI-ish than Registry / semantic content-ish.

Having been on the pointy end of non-profit software / service
procurement - the big challenge is *not* finding providers - they
have plenty of ways of marketing to you - but in sorting out those
that can actually deliver real solutions.  And if you have a real
solution - that non-profits can actually differentiate that.

So often the non-profits are seen as proving grounds for
entry-level garage-front shops with ideas but little substance
and ability / experience to follow-thru, but great capacity
to overcharge once they are in-place.  Or the non-profit
has little or no idea of what they really need - but what they
have is slashed together from old-parts by volunteers on
weeks.  Not for the faint of heart!!

Microcosm of the real for-profit marketplace - only with
no budgets!

Seems like the system would be better if NTen provided eBay
style feedback from prior customers...

Something like the EPR work may eventually provide
service oriented solutions that are web deployed - thus
solving another big non-profit issue - no infrastructure -
although things like www.huge.com must seem like
an answer to a prayer!

DW