Subject: RE: [ebsoa] SOA and Shared Semantics

ebSOA Team,

On Monday and Tuesday of this week, I participated in an "invitation
only" Enterprise Information Integration (EII) workshop that was
sponsored by the Defense Logistics Agency. The focus of the EII workshop
was semantics integration solutions to solve a case study (but real
world problem) involving legacy systems. Approximately 55-60 "thought
leaders" were invited to the workshop. The attendees represented the
following -- DoD, the military services, other government agencies,
prime contractors (Lockheed Martin and Boeing), IT vendors (IBM,
Microsoft, Unicorn, MetaMatrix, Contivo, Network Inference, and others),
standards bodies (X12, IEEE, ebXML and W3C) and recognized experts on
the topics of OWL, RDF, Topic Maps, UDEF, and other semantics
integration concepts and technologies.

In addition to an outstanding keynote presentation by Jeff Pollock on
the subject of semantics integration, the outbriefs by the three teams
warrant your review - see http://www.meiim.com/eii_events.htm

Following several presentations on Monday morning, the attendees were
divided into three teams and each was asked to solve the same case
study. Although the case study was fictitious, it illustrated a real
world condition involving legacy systems. You can gain some insight to
the problem by looking at http://www.meiim.com/enter_EII.htm

All three workgroups were assigned the same case study titled "DoD
Widget Procurement System (WPS)." Within a four hour time span, each
team was expected to develop an overview of the proposed plan and
approach; develop an AS-IS characterization of the existing WPS
environment; develop a TO-BE systems architecture; discuss how the group
plans to overcome some of the obstacles cited in the case study; and
project downstream cost savings and cost avoidance opportunities.

The outbriefs by each team contained some common key elements within the
TO-BE architecture - specifically the need for a "loosely coupled"
metamodel (based on an ontology) and the use of OWL and RDF. Each team
briefed the DLA customer who was very pleased with the product developed
by each team. For reference, I was part of team #2.

IMHO the outbriefs by the three teams plus the presentation by Jeff
Pollock provide a solid starting point for any discussions regarding
"shared semantics" by this list.

Ron Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave.
#F521 Mail Point DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414