Subject: Re: [ebsoa] SOA and Shared Semantics

Dale Moberg wrote:

> -----Original Rant----- was From: Ann Wrightson
> [mailto:ann.wrightson@csw.co.uk]
>
> Which raises a bigger issue, relative to packaging ebSOA output as
> (only) relevant to the "ebXML way" (rant approaching :)
>
> The bigger and more comprehensive a standard, the more useful it looks
> to its creators, *and the less useful it is likely to be on the ground*
> since adopting it entails grabbing larger "territory" within a solution.
> The last thing I need is comprehensive standards (I do most of my work
> in projects trying to build stuff that works rather than in standards).
> I need neat and usable solutions to specific interoperability problems
> that I can introduce *alongside divers other approaches in a clean way*.
> If a collection of neat solutions also fit together well to build a
> bigger picture when they are adopted incrementally, this is good, but in
> a project context, in my experience, needs to manifest (be sellable) as
> a "nice to have" future opportunity bonus, not a present necessity.
>
> Fit-for-purpose standards: 0) do something useful 1) work with a v. wide
> range of tools 2) are simple and modular 3) do not change (!!) 4) are
> easy for adopters from a wide range of IT backgrounds to understand and
> use.
>
> End of rant.
>
> Rant discussion--
>
> 0. Don't know what ebSOA scope is. Thought I knew, but am awaiting for
> consensus.

+1. More than two months into the effort, I still am not able to answer
this question when people ask me. I ask very straightforward, pointed
questions, and all I get in response is a reference to some other
initiative. I am also unclear on how useful this initiative might be to
folks who don't want to utilize any part of the ebXML framework - that
is, those folks who say "I don't see enough ebXML-compliant software in
the market to make me feel comfortable investing in this framework"
(something I hear quite frequently)

Thanks,
Joe

--