Subject: Re: [ebsoa] Scope of TC (was SOA and Shared Semantics / Editors Action Item, et al)

Joe,

I'm sorry but this is a BAH / Gartner / Big 6 consulting
style stock question.

I'll turn this around the other way - I've just been looking
at Gartner slides showing the cost of integration - running
into millions and millions of $$$.  These slides are dated
2001, and May 2002 respectively.

Joe - how much longer do you think companies are going
to continue to throw money against the wall before they
start seriously looking at BCM and EPR and CAM?

1 year, 5 years, 10 years?

Frankly their competitors that understand this and are
actively doing pilot projects will be the ones that win
here.

I just got back from a seminal trip to Europe.  There is
a sea change happening.  With 25 countries infrastructure
to enable - they are no longer waiting for the USA
multi-national / outsourcing / consulting circus
to deliver its next iteration of "solutions" (note: since 2001
they've changed nothing).

Some very bright people over in Europe "get it", because
they are facing these problems daily - and they are
of a mood and a moment to do something about it
themselves - instead of reading interesting but useless
analysis reports from Gartner et al.

Our challenge here with ebSOA is actually to provide
these people with a real solution that can deliver
long term and short term what they need to empower
next generation systems, their citizens and communities.

My presentation :  http://eprforum.org  (top RHS) -
attempts to point out how this is all fitting together.
I'm not claiming this is perfect yet - but its a start.

Obviously the next step is to produce formal
requirements around the European needs and
submit those and then tackle how ebSOA
delivers them.

This is a very serious effort - as Peter Brown
indicated to the group already - and it will take us
three months of hard work here to deliver this
initial analysis.

Perhaps you can suggest how the US may also
"wake up" here - and begin to realize that the
issues that say AIA, AIAG, eGov, eHealthcare,
have known about since 2001 all have common
roots - and that a new holistic approach is
needed to provide at least some baseline
progress?    I'm not holding my breath on this
one however.

Cheers, DW