Subject: Re: [ebsoa] Scope of TC (was SOA and Shared Semantics / Editors Action Item, et al)

phogan@sinotechnologies.com wrote:

> David,
>
> >Perhaps you can suggest how the US may also
> >"wake up" here - and begin to realize that the
> >issues that say AIA, AIAG, eGov, eHealthcare,
> >have known about since 2001 all have common
> >roots - and that a new holistic approach is
> >needed to provide at least some baseline
> >progress?    I'm not holding my breath on this
> >one however.
>
> I am new to this committee, but have worked in this
> area for over 25 years. Speaking from an Open Source
> viewpoint, every executive I speak with has had it with
>  run-away integration and IT costs and are staring to
> focus on alternative approaches. My sense is that the
> business community has begun to take more control over
> such issues.
>
> It is not only Europe, but China that has begun pushing
> for a holistic approach to such issues. They have
> mobilized both their business and academic communities
> to address it. The ebXML, SOA and Open Source work
> being done at the university level in China is
> extraordinary. The Chinese are focused on solutions
> that work, low cost to adopt and maintain, are easy to
> install and that can adapt quickly.
>
> I agree with one thing, the US will have a major
> "wake-up"  call coming in the next year or so.

Respectfully, I believe you are missing one major point: that is, the
vendor landscape, dynamics, and influence here in the US vs. Asia (and
even Europe). The US software and systems market is dominated by two
major forces that are not backers of ebXML - hence the very strong ebXML
adoption in Asia and Europe, and the lesser degree of adoption here in
the US.

Joe

--
Kind Regards,