Subject: Report from Face to Face meeting in Vancouver

We decided to get down to work early on Tuesday and had a good
discussion about the format/presentation of the final specification.
 The general consensus of what we are doing remained constant (example
-> high level overview, expressions by different views, set of normative
patterns to illustrate the blueprints and speak to intended audience)
however the presentation structure changed.  Due to the high number of
potential patterns that may emerge from SOA, we contemplated an approach
whereby we encapsulate the main specification in one document, then
refer to a "Patterns Catalog" for specific patterns.  The patterns
catalog will likely contain a multitude of patterns (perhaps as many as
35-55 to start with) related to SOA within the context of eBusiness.

The main specification would therefore be able to be ratified and
approved in advance of the actual catalog of patterns.

The main specification will contain multiple views and the normative SOA
patterns metamodel.  This document was heavily revised during the
remainder of the meeting and the Patterns Catalog document began
emerging as well.

Patterns Catalog:

The Patterns Catalog for eBusiness SOA will likely contain a
classification system for patterns.  So far the main division is to
divide the patterns into two main categories - Basic SOA patterns and
SOA patterns specialized for eBusiness.  It is likely that the latter
will be split into several categories as well - SOA Patterns for
eBusiness Data (things like CCTS, BIE, UDEF, CAM methodologies), SOA
Patterns for Business processes (WS-BPEL, BPSS et al methodologies), SOA
patterns for collaboration management (WSDL, CPP methodologies etc.) and
potentially many more.

Great care has been taken not to subscribe to either WS*, ebXML or any
other specific technology during this meeting and the updated documents
will be available soon.  Some editing has to take place first.

The overarching goal is to fly investigate what SOA patterns are
required to facilitate eBusiness on a global scale.  The resultant
blueprints and patterns will likely be very useful for aiding businesses
and other standards in driving specific implementations and protocols.

Several references to other work should be included in this such as
WS-I, W3C etc.

We should have postings by mid next week.

Duane Nickull

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.