Subject: Re: [ebsoa] front page

All,

I'm seeking opinions regarding the shift from bringing ebXML TA 1.04
forward as stated below to the new purpose, only because I am giving a
presentation on SOA to a major U.S. federal agency next month at which
this question may be brought up. I have also received some "ad hoc"
inquiries in various forums.

I should state up front that I am not in any way questioning the
decision that was made regarding the shift in focus of this TC (I think
it's a good shift), but rather I am seeking information as to what the
challenges of the original focus were (or may have been if the focus
were continued as such).

More context:

There have been some mentions in the press over this past year regarding
how an effort such as the one originally proposed - for example, David
Linthicum's ebizq.net article of April[1], and the January NetFusion
article regarding the DoD EMALL's adoption of ebMS, in which (on p.2) it
states "Ongoing efforts to merge ebXML and Web services efforts might
help spur adoption in the U.S., analysts say.".

And these are just 2 examples of several. Given the public support for
such a path, what are the reasons that it has been abandoned? And do we
anticipate such work ever being done in another forum?

If you would like to reply, please do so online. Offline replies make me
wonder whether or not I should mention what was told to me in public. :)

Thanks so much,
Joe

[1] http://www.ebizq.net/hot_topics/soa/features/4323.html
"(ebXML’s Move To SOA: Clearly A Good One")

[2] http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0126dod.html?page=1
("'Next EDI' gains key proponent")

--
Kind Regards,