Subject: Re: [ebsoa] Groups - Provisional Charter (Draft) (NEW-Charter-v0dot1_DRAFT.doc) uploaded

To:  ebSOA TC

      I have two concerns about the plans articulated in this document and
the informal notes from the last ebSOA TC meeting.  I am in Korea this
week, so attendance at your December 8th meeting will be difficult (as it
will occur at 3 am for me).  In any case, I ask the TC to take a slightly
slower path towards any fundamental changes to your deliverables and
objectives.
     First, I have a purely rules-based concern about how to execute the
proposed change.  As you know, changes to the scope of a TC that
significantly change its field of operations generally are prohibited under
our TC Process.  (This is not because it' a bad idea, but because observers
and members rely on the charter for each TC to encapsulate its topic.)  A
TC *may* significantly change direction, but if it expands its scope, we
ask it to do so by closing and re-opening.  You can see several successful
examples of this on our site, including the evolution of the "Management
Protocol" TC into the very successful (but more broadly scoped) WSDM
TC.  See
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/mgmtprotocol/200302/msg00001.html.
     Thus, if the TC wishes to execute on the strategy being considered, I
suggest that the TC not vote to close *until* the new TC charter is up and
running (as with WSDM).  I would be pleased to discuss this further with
the TC at a meeting.

     Second, and more significantly, I am concerned that there are some
members who wish to pursue the original deliverables of the current ebSOA
TC charter.   User and industry expectations encouraged around the ebSOA TC
might be significantly deflated, if the existing TC seems to revert its
attention wholly to architectures, and deprecate its planned examination of
ebXML<>web service interoperability.   That latter project is in some
demand.  Just today I attended in Korea a remarkable and rather advanced
presentation on hybrid ebXML/WS methods.
     Thus, I would like to confirm that the part of the community
interested in those deliverables is able to continue them, if they
wish.  It would be unfortunate if the subtle changes in work plans being
considered were misread, from the outside, as a withdrawal from some of the
goals strongly articulated by this TC's proposers during the launch 8
months ago.
     I have briefly discussed this with Duane and it's my understanding
that he is amenable to the following approach
    -- Leave the present TC in operation over the next ~6 weeks.  (45 days
is the incubation period for a new TC.)
    -- Complete the "rechartering" project as a drafting exercise, taking
the time for consensus and broader community input if there is
interest.  (I am inclined to suggest that a discussion list immediately be
requested, to provide a separate channel for that, which would allow
nonmembers to surveill and express interest.)
     -- We will chat with members about possible continuation of the
existing TC with a slightly different membership and additional leadership,
as desirable, to fulfill some of the original objectives, and populate that
option during the same 4-6 week period.
     In this manner we could support all of the expectations of our
heterogenous community, and I will formally suggest this when we are able
to meet.
     Best regards  JBC

At 02:46 PM 12/7/2004, dnickull@adobe.com wrote:
>The document named Provisional Charter (Draft)
>(NEW-Charter-v0dot1_DRAFT.doc) has been submitted by Duane Nickull to the
>OASIS Electronic Business Service Oriented Architecture (ebSOA) TC
>document repository. Document Description: Draft of potential new charter
>for re-chartering group. Download
>Document:
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebsoa/download.php/10488/NEW-Charter-v0dot1_DRAFT.doc
>View Document Details:
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebsoa/document.php?document_id=10488
>PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email
>application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
>copy and paste the entire link address into the address field of your web
>browser. -OASIS Open Administration

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   +1 978 667 5115 x 203 central office
~   +1 310 293 6739 mobile