Subject: Does SOA Require Registry-Based Dynamic Discovery?

What is the TC's opinion on the answer to the question of "does SOA require registry-based dynamic discovery"? I know that Discovery is a pattern in the .047 spec, which leads me to believe that the position is that SOA does not *require* registry-based discovery.

For example, suppose that:

- 2 organizations are using Web Services in a "SOA-like" manner (meaning shared services represented as Web Services, that are invoked by other Web Services).

- There is no registry-based dynamic discovery, perhaps because the organizations agree that these service locations are completely (or relatively) stable, and that if the locations change, there will be some out-of-band mechanism for propagating updated WSDL documents

Are these 2 organizations therefore *not* using a service-oriented architecture? That is, does the second point completely negate the first? Or, is it all really a matter of business and technical requirements?

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World