Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] Re: [ebsoa] Re: [ebxml-bp] Closing the gap between MSI and BSI and move on

Good catch Dale.

When I said CPA plays a role, I was referencing that the CPA can contain the discrete identification of the physical MSI, and override some of the business rules (e.g. timeouts).  I didn't mean to expand it's role.

Regarding public/private, my feeling is that the BSI is public while the BS is private (analagous to the public interface to a private set of application classes).  This is something we should make sure we are aligned on.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Moberg [mailto:dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 10:17 AM
To: Yunker, John; David Webber (XML); Monica J. Martin
Cc: Sacha Schlegel; ebXML BP; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org; ebsoa

Here begins a rare disagreement with John.

I am dubious that the CPPA is the right place to try to define the way the BSI is deployed in an environment containing software playing a MSH role.

The CPPA represents the agreement about parameters defining expectations concerning selected options for the collaboration protocol used by business process participants. That means it really only deals with configuration of the public process, not the private process. The private process is not something a collaborator "gets a say in," so to speak; so their agreement on these internal employment details is neither required nor solicited.

And it is the configuration of private process details that a deployment and configuration technology would need to address. I don't believe that either WSBPEL or anything in the WS-Policy area addresses this area squarely either. Some aspects might be touched upon by things like J2EE deployment descriptors (clearly not deployment environment neutral), and even within that tradition, deployment descriptors are not uniformly loved (search on Deployment Descriptors: the Achilles' Heel of J2EE or similar). I also think that if we spec out too many requirements in this area we endanger the loose-coupling of the underlying SOAP based messaging. Finally, too many requirements can lead us to a situation in which we begin to appeal to end users who have a totally blank canvas upon which to build. Very few of these around, no matter what the size or sophistication of their IT infrastructure.

Anyway there's my $.02 of reservations.