Subject: Charter clarification ballot

    The OASIS ebSOA TC chair has notified me that the TC has requested a
ballot on the proposed charter change listed at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebsoa/download.php/12455/ebSOA-TC-charter-v1.01-NTC-1.pdf
    The TC's current charter can be found at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebsoa/charter.php

     The current TC Process rules address TC charter changes carefully,
because the TC and our member and user communities all consume the charter,
as key metadata about the scope and nature of a TC's work.  The rules allow
a TC to "clarify" its charter without re-starting the TC, if the proposed
change removes ambiguity or narrows the scope of the TC's topic, and does
not broaden or otherwise change that scope.  The list of deliverables may
be expanded, but only if the new deliverables are within the (pre-existing)
scope.
     I have reviewed the proposal and find that it qualifies as a charter
clarification.  (I note that some of the deliverable deadlines are short,
and that any planned 'usage profiles'  would necessarily be incorporated as
illustrative examples into the current list of deliverables, as they're
written;  but these are outcomes which the TC members are free to choose.
)

     To obtain approval of a charter clarification, I am required to
conduct a web-based TC ballot, and the change must be approved by a
"Special Majority Vote" of the TC (defined in the TC Process:  this is the
same supermajority used to approve committee specifications.)   I have
opened this ballot, which will remain open for 14 days (closing 8 June
2005).  The ballot can be seen at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebsoa/ballot.php?id=774
     The ballot uses the TC roster's record of which members currently are
voting members:  this information, which is maintained by the TC
chair,  can be viewed at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebsoa/members/roster.php.
     JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org