Subject: RE: [ebsoa] SOA Collaboration Semantics

Please see comments below, marked with [JMC].

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Goran Zugic [mailto:goran.zugic@semantion.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:58 PM
To: Chiusano Joseph; ebSOA OASIS TC

Joe,

Thanks for your feedback. These are my answers:

- The run-time architecture is based on analysis of over 130 collaborative installations. It is based on FERA which classifies and categorizes capabilities required to support all of the use cases analyzed. The components are actually reference functional modules that have specified functions and interfaces. Our run time SOA is based on that model and each component has a well defined role and interface to communicate with other components to support the collaborative process.

[JMC] Thank you. The information you provided above is valuable to understand the background and history of the run-time architecture. I should also emphasize that my original question was: "Since the run-time architecture is greatly concrete, is it intended that products be based on it? Is it intended for exemplary purposes? Other? ".

- SOA IM is based on the process definition in FERA that requires certain level of specificity of the process detail. True, FERA does not require QoS details, but it provides a robust security policy model.

[JMC] It seems to me that if the security policy model is robust as you say, it would be reflected in the SOA IM hierarchy shown in Figure 1 of the SOA IM document. Why would it not be (sorry, I don't understand).

 The IM is derived from FERA process characteristics and there are additional data elements required for the run time semantics that are used for quality, escalation, monitoring and other administrative aspects of run time execution. The SOA IM contains sufficient level of detail to extract the semantics and to execute it over the run time SOA. True it is a process based model, and that is intentional, because that maintains the fidelity of business requirements throughout the entire deployment. In this framework, it is less important to define what is a service then to satisfy all basic principles of SOA.

[JMC] How can one "satisfy all basic principles of SOA" if the most fundamental concept of SOA - "service" - is not defined?

That is why it is an SOA IM.

[JMC] Given that "Service" does not appear in the IM hierarchy, I would asser that it is *not* a SOA IM, and that portraying it as such is - a best - a huge stretch.

However, the Service entity is defined in Section 2.1.35 in SOA IM document.

[JMC] Great - why not put it in the IM hierarchy?

Hence, you see activities, decisions, events, roles, rules and metrics as key entities. A service can therefore be any activity, or a decision that has defined inputs and outputs, conditions for its invocation, metrics for its performance, rules for its execution, matrix with the input processing logic and few other entities in the model.

[JMC] Great - then that should be reflected in the IM hierarchy, with "Service" being related to all of these, IMHO.

Hence the entire model in fact defines services, their orchestration,

[JMC] Not all SOA instances involve orchestration - that is a feature (aspect) that is determined according to business need. So building in orchestration "natively", IMHO, makes this an orchestration IM (or a process IM), not a SOA IM.

their business rules and other aspects required for SOA definition, deployment, maintenance and continuous operational support. The entire IM and the architecture is an SOA based on the principles of service orientation.

[JMC] I believe that it cannot be this, since "Service" is not even included in the IM hierarchy, much less as a central focus.

Just like in the sport of soccer nothing is really called soccer, but everything else defines the game, players, referees, goals, spectators, ball, pitch, etc.

[JMC] Yes, but there are fundamental components you mentioned, such as a soccer ball. How can this be SOA (soccer) without depicting a soccer ball (Service)?

I am not implying anything more than I am saying here, but it appears to me that the SOA IM was originally written as a process IM, and some text regarding "service" was added in as an afterthought (just my opinion).

Given its current state, I frankly don't see its value to this TC or standards work in general.

Thanks,
Joe

Regards,
Goran