ebxml-bp-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: cristiano.novelli@bologna.enea.it

Name: Cristiano Novelli
Title: Researcher, ENEA Scholarship
Regarding Specification: v2.0.1 ebBP

My difficulties, for process representation with ebBP standard, are two:
1) To describe a BT that can happen zero or more times.
   1A) Describe a optional BT (zero).
   1B) Describe a recursive BT (more).
2) To describe two consecutive gateway.

At the moment, I solve these problems through nested Business Collaborations but the choreography increases its complexity.

I go to show my simples potential solutions (modifying the ebBP rules):
1) Add attributes to "BusinessTransactionActivity" level:
   1A) Add a "isOptional" attribute to BTA element level:
       False (default): the BT execution isn't optional
       True: the BT execution is optional
   2A) Add a "isRepeated" attribute to BTA element level:
       False (default): the BT execution isn't repeated
       True: the BT execution is repeated
Combining two attributes, "isOptional" and "isRepeated", I can describe the situations:
- zero or one
   isOptional="true"
   isRepeated="false"
- zero or more
   isOptional="true"
   isRepeated="true"
- one or more
   isOptional="false"
   isRepeated="true"
- only one (default)
   isOptional="false"
   isRepeated="false"

Example:
To describe a BT "bt-x" than can happen zero or more:
<BusinessTransactionActivity
   name="BTA Name"
   nameID="bta-id"
   businessTransactionRef="bt-x"
   isRepeated="true"
   isOptional="true">
</BusinessTransactionActivity>

2) To describe two consecutive gateway the problem is that gateways isn't a business state (justly, it isn't a BTA) therefore if I must move, for example, from a join to a new fork, this is impossible.
A potential solution (modifying the ebBP rules) can be:
Add a "toForkRef" attribute to "ToLink"  Element, to define a transition from this gateway to a Fork.
Add a "fromJoinRef" attribute to "FromLink"  Element, to define a transition from a Join to this gateway.

Example:
<Fork name="myFork1" nameId="f-1" type="OR">
   <FromLink fromBusinessStateRef="btaStart" />
   <ToLink toBusinessStateRef="bta2"/>
   <ToLink toBusinessStateRef="bta3"/>
</Fork>
<Join name="myJoin1" nameId="j-1" waitForAll="false">
   <FromLink fromBusinessStateRef="bta2"/>
   <FromLink fromBusinessStateRef="bta3"/>
   <ToLink toForkRef="f-2"/>
</Join>
<Fork name="myFork2" nameId="f-2" type="OR">
   <FromLink fromJoinRef="j-1" />
   <ToLink toBusinessStateRef="bta4"/>
   <ToLink toBusinessStateRef="bta5"/>
</Fork>
<Join name="myJoin2" nameId="j-2" waitForAll="false">
   <FromLink fromBusinessStateRef="bta4"/>
   <FromLink fromBusinessStateRef="bta5"/>
   <ToLink toBusinessStateRef="btaEnd"/>
</Join>

Received via email and posted by M. Martin.
User community feedback from Cristiano Novelli