Subject: Name and GUID

All elements (documents, BTs, ...) created for a collaboration definition must be uniquely identified to be further referenced.

Since BPSS is destined to be used in a global environement, we cannot take the risks to have IDs which are not GUIDs (software packages used at different locations could be generate the same ID). In general most elements created to be referenced will also be named.

References can be defined either in terms of
a) names (nameRef)
b) GUID (guidRef)

References based on GUID ensure that the element referenced will always be the same. If a new version of the referenced element is created (with the same name but a different GUID), the GUIDRef must be changed to point to the new version.

References based on names offer more flexibility specialy in case where a logically identical element is physically different in different context. For instance, a Process PO collaboration can be defined for various industry but the PO format will be the different for each industry. In this case, the PO document format will be defined in a separate package that will be included into the collaboration package in each case.

I don't think it is required to have the named reference required when a guid is specified (like it is in the BPSS 1.1 schema) and as Serm told us.

The remaining question was is there some use cases where both a named and GUID-based reference are needed. John, I must admit that I am still not very clear on when we would need to use both at the same time. I can see that when you create a new version of an element, the name may remain the same, but what do you gain in the first place to use a GUIDRef if you know that this particular element will evolve and you are going to end up in this situation? why not use just a named reference in that case? As soon as you store the two references at the same time, they must then remain in synch and if you create a new version, at that time, you know for sure what is the old GUID and the new one.

I can see that you could use both, just in the case where there is a risk to loose the file in which the element referenced is lost. It might then be easier to find a new one by name.

So I don't think we should make it EITHER a named reference OR a GUID reference, having both should be allowed, but I don't see any advantage of having both at the same time.

Jean-Jacques Dubray
attachmate
3617 131st Ave
Bellevue, WA 98006