Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Name and GUID

Title: Message
Dale,

Your last point brings up why in CAM we are using UID coupled with domain
reference (alias) as the linkage point.  The reason is that the registry assigns
a new GUID everytime something is inserted.  This can be disastrous if
you have referenced something widely by GUID, and you make a small
change to it - and that GUID is now deprecated - or you store the exact
same thing in a different registry - it will get a new GUID - (happens when
you move from test environment to production forinstance - or you take
a design from someone else and import it).

Whereas - using the UID system you can always find the latest version,
regardless of its location - even across a federation of registries.  So just
depends what you are doing.  If you exactly require a single explicit
reference - GUID - but if you are making a logical reference in preference -
UID plus locator alias.

This - and other areas - is why I'm suggesting that we give implementers
flexibility with the ID values they store to match the production
environment.

DW.