Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Action Item: Proposed resolution of GUID/GUIDREF/name/nameId issue.

Dale,

Looks great!

+1

Thanks, DW

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Moberg" <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>
To: "ebXML BP" <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 1:42 PM
Subject: [ebxml-bp] Action Item: Proposed resolution of
GUID/GUIDREF/name/nameId issue.

The @name, @nameId attribute and GUID, GUIDREF datatype issue was next
reviewed.
Dale will post a summary proposal describing the rationale and
conventions, and the residual open questions.

====================================
Hi,

Here is what I think the main upshot was of the discussion of @name,
@nameId attribute and GUID, GUIDREF.
There was a lot of stuff discussed under this topic and I have omitted
some things that seemed a bit more tangential

Dale Moberg

Principle 1: The GUID datatype values are used in the @nameId attributes
so that collisions will be avoided when including BPSS information items
within a BPSS instance.

Principle 2: The GUID values SHOULD be used within GUIDREF references to
establish relations between elements.

Principle 3: The Name attribute values MAY be used within GUIDREF
references to establish relations between elements.

Uncertain Status (see below): I think there has been some interest in
strengthening the SHOULD in Principle 2 to a MUST (to simplify
implementation). Likewise there is interest in deprecating Principle 3
going forward. JJ Dubray presented an argument from reusability
considerations against this strengthening (see below).

Principle 4: If the values used for reference conflict on the item
pointed to, the BPSS instance will be invalid.

Principle 5: The GUID does not have to be from an established standard
for GUID construction. In particular, it does not have to be a UUID.

===============================

Still unresolved:

JJ DuBray provided a reusability case for reference by @name values, the
values of the @name attribute MAY be used for reference.

See http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00033.html

Dale Moberg wondered whether this was required for reusability. No reply
on this

See http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00042.html

There are a lot of references I consulted. Here are some that are in the
thread on other topics (registry, etc.):

Selected References

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200311/msg00185.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200311/msg00188.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200311/msg00189.html

 http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00010.html

[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00013.html

contains a link for Monica's WorkItem41-DiscussionSummary-mm1-120503.pdf

[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00015.html

 "nameID - an appropriate community or industry preferred referencing
system, or GUID value.

[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00033.html

[5] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00045.html

[6] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200312/msg00042.html