Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] 12/7/2003: [Fwd: "Late Binding" of TimeToPerform]

Lars writes to Serm, that

"It is of course possible to create multiple separate Binary
Collaborations that differs only in the timeToPerform value and where
the process flow it self is exactly the same. First, IMHO I don't think
the timeToPerform value is always an equally "important" business rule
to be agreed to and pre-known and determined in the same way as the
process flow it self is. I also believe that this approach could end of
with to many Binary Collaborations to handle when you actually only need
one."

Dale Moberg comments that:

I  believe that the OASIS ebXML CPPA group would agree that CPAs provide
a later binding for this value than does BPSS,
and I believe very similar intuitions were behind their decision to set
values differing from the ones in the referenced
BPSS instance.

For totally flexible values, CPPA allowed some values to be set
"perMessage". This construct probably does not allow an
extremely dynamic approach to this value (perhaps a value that is a
function of the number of bytes actually in the message).

Perhaps you could also agree to reference a function call (or a
"service") from which you obtain the values to be used.

What function or API to use could be a matter of agreement in a CPPA.
(So instead of supplying a concrete value in the CPA,
we would provide some way of identifying the function/service to be
used...)

If this approach would be of interest, then please send the CPPA comment
list your requirement for consideration or incorporation in a future
CPPA version. (Probably would need a datatype change and some commentary
additions...)