Subject: Ordering of BPSS 'events'

Title: Message
Dear Colleagues,

Sorry for being a bit late jumping in (and I seem to have deleted all the relevant messages!) but a week or so ago I noted a discussion thread on the precise ordering of BPSS 'events' - by which I mean request and response messages, the various acknowledgement and exception signals, timeouts, the composition of these into a 'business transaction', then the composition of 'business transactions' into binary collaborations and so forth.

Now when having such discussions it is easy to agree various points of detail, then move on - and forget them again!

May I suggest that the results of such discussions are captured in some way such that the can then be used as reference pints in the future.

One way to do this would be to capture the information (certainly for the sequencing of events to make a 'business transaction') as a generic state machine.  There was in fact an attempt to do just that about a year or so ago as part of the work on BCP (Business Collaboration Protocol).  Although that particular effort seems to have stalled you may wish to make use of the result of state machine discussions that took place then - at least as a starting point.  They were done at the time using the free Community Edition of Poseidon (see www.gentleware.com ) and I attach .png versions of what I think was the end point that group reached (others may have later versions - I also have the .zargo file to feed into the Poseidon tool if anyone else would like to have a play).  My view was that the BCP effort was trying to specify the generic rules for these state machines and a BPSS instance could be used as a configuration file for the generic state machine to particularise it for a particular instance of use.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Home: 35, Wimborne Avenue, IPSWICH  IP3  8QW
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
 amfletcher@iee.org     (also tony.fletcher@talk21.com  &  tony_fletcher@btopenworld.com)

Receiving.png

Initiating.png