Subject: [ebBP] 4/14/2004: [RSD] WI-51: UML CHOICE - SUMMARY PROPOSAL FOR VOTE

Discussion|OASIS.ebBP.WI51-Use of choice connector;
Topic|;
Point|Summary proposal for v2.0;

mm1@
In late March I wrote this summary proposal and have received an
affirmative nod from Dennis Krukkert to provide us assistance for model
updates for v3.0.  We have open questions on fork-join and may find we
have updates for v2.0.  In the interim until those are better understod,
I would request the team to consider this proposal for one of our next
meetings - 20 April or the informal F2F on 28 April 2004.

John Yunker, Anders Tell, Lars Abrell, Rajesh Pradhan, from a modeling
perspective are you amenable to this proposal? Comments welcome.

See below the summary proposal sent 28 March 2004.
=======================================================================================================================
Dennis,
We discussed this work item you submitted in the F2F in February 2004.

Work item 51: UML convention change
"or-fork" and the same shape for the "wait-for-all=false" join as in UML.

Discussion points:

   * Related to XOR.
   * Fork and join are paired. Identify what this could mean to BPSS
     and address in v3.0.

It is important to note we spent a great deal of time in the F2F first
day discussing the underlying conceptual model for BPSS. We understand
that in a future version we will discuss in greater detail. Such as
indicated by John Yunker, UML activity diagrams are moving to petri
nets. Decision is only a fork where conditions on
both sides are exclusive.   In v2.0, we are trying to balance backward
compatibility and maintaining the base known concepts in BPSS as well as
look to the future (such as reference above).

Recommendation:
For v2.0, close this work item with no action and address as in v3.0.

Dennis, if you can give us greater details and assist in this process
(and analysis), we would welcome your contribution and insights. I would
encourage any other team members to comment and we can finalize in a
summary proposal for vote. Thanks.
@mm1

Point|Proposal to vote;
mm1@
Please consider the above proposal for vote. The discussion will be 20
April 2004 and a decision for vote planned at OASIS symposium. Regards
from WDC.

THE LIST HAS BEEN VERY QUIET LATELY - WE'VE HAD SOME GOOD SUBGROUP AND
TC DISCUSSIONS ON CALLS SO I ENCOURAGE YOUR COMMENTS VIA THE LIST.
@mm1