Subject: [ebBP] 4/14/2004: WI-8 Differentiate MSI and BSI acknowledgementmessages

Discussion|OASIS.ebBP.WI8-Differentiate MSI and BSI;
Topic|;
Point|Proposal for review and vote;

mm1@
In late March, I sent this message to the TC to resolve this Work Item.
I have received detailed feedback and would like to update this work
item and propose working text that may be included in the technical
specification. With the mappings we plan to do for CPPA and ebMS
[WI-26], this may provide sufficient clarity to the user community. Can
we dispose of this item either in the F2F or 20 April 2004. As always,
speak!

=================================================================================================================
ebXML Messaging's reliable messaging module has an implicit state synchronization sequence based on the exchange of messages and acknowledgments. Business processes defined using ebXML BPSS are choreographed by distinct business process engines in a similar fashion. Although serving similar purpose, constituents of these acknowledgments, used to synchronize the state, are different between messaging and business process. Messaging level acknowledgments(signals) identify messages that are being acknowledged, agnostic of content(Business document) and business process. In contrast, Business signals have to consider the state of the collaboration and are closely aligned with the process instance by identifying the business action that is being signalled for state alignment. Business Signals account for business content, business process and the actions that result in/drive state alignment.
=================================================================================================================
@mm1

Point|Summary review;

mm1@

This is the original mail sent 28 March 2004 related to the Proposal for
review and vote sent to the TC 14 April 2004 (Point - Proposal for
review and vote):
===============================================================================================================
Work Item 8 Differentiate MSI and BSI acknowledgement messages
for any duplication.

Summary proposal:

   * Provide clearer definition of the BSI.
   * Provide mapping for CPPA-ebMS-BPSS functionality.

Dick,
In the F2F, in discussions late last year on ebXML-dev and in several
exchanges since February [1], we have talked about the BSI, its
functionality, clearer descriptions and more guidelines for our user
community. One key point was that the MSI implements the criteria
defined in the BPSS.  We are also working on clearer descriptions for
the BSI, which will be a primary topic at the OASIS Symposium for our
Transactions presentation. We also intend to have mappings at the end of
the specification so it is clearly understood between CPPA-ebMS-BPSS
functionality.

Can you think about this and advise if there are other issues or
questions you have regarding this work item? It was originally posted
from questions on ebXML-dev that you initiated.

Thanks.

[1] Such as OASIS symposium scenario and WSDL support discussions.
@mm1