Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Questions for f2f concerning BPSS choreographyconstructs, schema and implementation requirements

Here are some questions/comments from me for the conversation:

from Duane Nickull

1. If BinaryCollaboration can be an “InnerCollaboration”, should it not
show this in the model with a self referencial composition arrow?
2. timeToPerform should perhaps be another class and own attributes for
things like timeToPerformValue and timeToPerformQualifierValue (example:
“seconds, minutes, hours, days etc) so it can be more readable by
applications and also cover both long running (perhaps years) and short
running (perhaps less than a minute) choreographies. The way it is now,
if we use “seconds for everything, some of the numbers may be
unfeasonably long (how many seconds in General Motors 7 year car warranty?).
3. Role has to have a role type and role reference (URI or URL). Role
limit is also something that may need to be looked at (how many trading
parties can be one role in a choreography? It does state a choreography
always have exactly two roles but do they have to be different roles?
Applications will need to have this constraint explicitly available to
prevent anomalies at runtime.
4. I changed the name of “State” to “StartState” to match “CompetionState”
5. I disagree that a specific BusinessTransactionActivity should know if
it is concurrent with other BusinessTransactionActivities, however there
may be reasons I am not aware of. Can you elaborate?
6. “isLegallyBinding” should not, IMO, be in the BP instance. It is not
possible to make such statements without knowing the details of the
parties involved and the laws they are subject to. There is no way to
reconcile the laws of every country plus international business law to
allow such declarations.
7. “GuardCondition” should be a separate class rather than an attribute
of “CompletionState”. There are likely additional attribute to the
GuardCondition that will need to be detailed in greater atomicity.
8. Rather than GUID’s , prefer to use UUID’s as per the ebXML
architecture. If there is a reason why GUID instead, please elaborate.
9. I see a need to add a link to a Business Object. The Business Object
itself has state and there may be dependencies to the BusinessState
based on the state of the BusinessObject. Example: an instance of
BusinessObject may be “owned” or “found”. A Business Object has other
properties that are relevant to law enforcement.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.