Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Re: [ebsoa] Re: [ebxml-bp] eBusiness Metamodel EARLYDRAFT 0.03

Thread split to just BP list...

David RR Webber wrote:

>Duane,
>
>Concur.
>
>Some other thoughts - missing pieces - linking and switching and tracking
>state

[DN]  For tracking the state, in the CEFACT model, we had a notion of a
Business Entity (different from a Business Information Entity).  This
was an important aspect of keeping state.  It is a real world business
object represented electronically with a unique ID and some state
information. The minimal set of information was never specified.

I have encountered this in auto and justice/security industries ut
suspect it is more ubiquitous than not.  I liken the concept to a
primary key of an item when viewing a relational database of products.

In the auto industry, there may be several processes and collaborations.
 Example -> Ford sells car to Canadian Distributor (process A), Canadian
Distributor sells car to retailer (process B); then retailer sells car
to David Webber (process C).  The Business Entity is the actual
electronic representation of the car.  John Yunker carefully explained
this to us in San Fran in Sept 2001 and I could see the usefulness.

In this example, Ford has a relationship and economic commitment to the
end customer for perhaps 5 years (warranty period) even after processes
A, B and C and finished.  The car also has an owner, a location, a UUID
(VIN perhaps) and a service record history (state may be that the
customer is delinquent in fulfilling his or her side of the required
servicing for ensuring the warranty remains valid.

Example 2:

In justice, a piece of property is akin to a Business Entity.  A
property has a description, an owner, a manufacturer, a physical state
(new, broken etc.), color, identifying marks, fingerprintsFoundOn, a
relationship to a crime etc etc...

In both these examples, the state of any specific process may not be
able to be complete unless the state of the Business Entity is known or
visible.

Questions:

Is there a Business Entity equivalent in ebXML?  Should there be? Does
it's type get inherited  from the superclass Business Object Type
Library or Entities (BOTLE) or have we been all hitting the BOTTLE too much?

More importance of getting the business centric view of the model right
first I guess.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist