Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] FW: Differences between an operation and a BT

John:

Just some clarification. The requirement that we have selected for 2.0
(for 3.0 the requirements will be expanded) is that a partner that is
only capable of web service invocation be able to participate in a
collaboration (typically MPC). The invocation can be both inbound or
outbound (the ebXML partner is either a requester or a provider of web
services).

I think that the layering that you are suggesting refers to a potential
3.0 requirement by which you could assemble and bind a series of
operations into an ebXML business transaction (e.g. associate an
operation to receipt Ack, another one to acceptance Ack and yet another
one for request response). I think that this is not a goal for 2.0.

>> I also know that I would probably never use it, opting for a business

>> transaction instead.
Of course from a state alignment perspective, I agree with you 100%.

However... I thought that the paper industry had adopted ebXML for its
exchange (not sure), assuming they have, I could easily see a book
publisher consuming Amazon's inventory service and specifying a
replenishment collaboration involving paper producers, shippers, Amazon,
... Amazon could not care less how and why requesters are using its
inventory service. I don't think this service requires to be a
"transaction" per say.

Now, are you telling us that Amazon is developing an ebXML equivalent to
its web services?

JJ-