Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 7/29/2004: WI-39 re: Acceptance Ack [RSD]

Monica J. Martin wrote:

>> "Acceptance" on the other hand is *welldefined* term occuring in
>> almost *all* countries *laws*. Using terms in wrong contexts only
>> confuses people, which is the case with BT and the signal in question.
>
> "Business Acknowledgment" is a term wich is largly undefined and one
> can simply give it a meaning by definition,stipulation.
>
> mm1: Anders, can you then provide some insight here as I am somewhat
> confused? The UMM explicitly reference the 'acknowledgement of
> acceptance' and UMM references LG Recommendations 26 and 31. It
> separates this from the acknowledgement of receipt and response.

Are you sure that the described ebBP AA has the "identical" semantics as
UMM AA in all cases? The UMM AA semantics (sometimes) include Contract
Acceptance meaning which usually comes after a business decision.

The ebBP supports only a subset of UN Rec, 26, 31, considerations so
there is more to do.

A an interesting example from UN Rec 26
--------------
"The Agreement contemplates an important exception:
under certain national commercial or administrative laws,
the sending of a communication, whether or not in
electronic form, is given certain legal effect, whether or
not received in fact by the intended recipient. For example,
a buyer sending a notice of defective goods preserves
its rights, even if the seller does not receive the communication."
"Since certain types of Messages may have legal effects not
favourable to a receiving party (for example, a notice of
defective goods sent to a seller), Section 3.2.2 does not
permit the receiving party to deprive a Message, when
received, from having legal effect by failing to send a
required acknowledgement."

--
/ Business Collaboration Toolsmiths /