Subject: Re: ebBP / BPMN extensions

Jean-Jacques,

Thank you for your suggested extensions to BPMN. I have forwarded this to the BPMN working group and I will put it on our agenda for our concall next week.

I expect that we will have comments and questions on the extensions. I will forward them as they come up.

-Steve
Stephen A. White, Ph.D.
BPM Architect
WebSphere Business Integration Strategy and  Architecture
Software Group
714-438-5590
wstephe@us.ibm.com

"Jean-Jacques Dubray" <jeanjadu@Attachmate.com>

08/23/2004 02:06 AM

"Monica Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>, <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>
cc
Stephen A White/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS, "ebXML BP" <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
ebBP / BPMN extensions

This is my proposal for a few extensions to BPMN to be able to represent the choreography of collaborations. Here is an example (Process PO collaboration).

The double line activity represent a business transaction (we may want to use special symbols or lining scheme for indicating the need for or lack of signals)

The dashed line represent the direction (initiating to responder), the response flow is not indicating. When two flows cross the activity (e.g. Cancel) it means that both parties can initiate that transaction.

Optionally, we can represent the message flow (PO / Ack PO).

The little circle on each side of the BTA represent an endpoint. The private process connects to these end points (not fully represented here).

I had to create a new gateway which acts as both a fork and a join. This means that change PO and Cancel PO can happen as many times as we need to, until a time out occurs. Note that the semantic of a fork gateway in a collaboration means that the BTA is enabled, not that it is necessarily executed.

It is start is agreeable, I will do a complete analysis of what maps and does not map to a collaboration.

Thanks,

JJ-