Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] RE: BSI retries question - further clarification

Let's see if I can weave my way through the starting discussion thread
on a holiday (Thanks Sacha for the great followthrough while I was
enjoying a fall day).
See my additional comments inline (***mm1: .....***). I encoureage
others to comment as well.

Steve Capell wrote:

>Capell: Sacha,
>
>Thanks for your feedback.  From an academic perspective what you say makes
>sense but I'm just thinking about market acceptance of BPSS based BSI
>infrastructure and what reasonable human expectations would be in a real
>practical scenario.
>
>The problem is that it is hard to define to what extent a "changed payload"
>could be permitted in the context of a retry.  The original basis for my
>question was that we often encounter the situation where a business
>acceptance fails for a fairly trivial reason.  Consider the following simple
>scenario:
>
>1	ACME sends a purchase order to their supplier Widget Co.  All
>business signals (receipt & acceptance ACK) are positive.
>2	Widget Co generates an order response.  Their system uses arbitrary
>internal UOM codes that are transformed to EDIFACT UOM codes before sending
>to external parties.  However in this case the transformation is missing so
>the order response goes out with a line item UOM of "each" instead of "EA".
>3	The ACME system expects EDIFACT UOM and so rejects the order
>response and the AVME BSI creates an acceptance NACK.
>4	The Widget Co administrator receives a notification from the Widget
>Co BSI, quickly identifies the problem and makes a new entry in the Widget
>Co UOM mapping tables for "Each" to "EA" mapping.

***mm1: My question would be how you would differentiate the trivial
from the business substantive reason here. The reason being is that if
the document is changed, this could trigger an open question if the
business relationship is also. Some time ago pre-v1.1, we discussed that
a warning could occur on an AA not exception but it was from the
responding entity perspective. Perhaps we should investigate this
further. We also have talked about starting / restarting a business
process when alternate means are used [1].

[1] Where for example the order is done via fax and you need to engage
the gateways to the automated processing. These two cases buttress on
the same/similar set of questions / situations. See comments below.

>Now, should Widget Co who is the supplier in this relationship be able to
>re-send the Order Response in the context of the same business process or
>should the whole collaboration be rolled back - which leaves two options:
>1	The two parties have to do manual processing
>2	Widget Co has to ask their customer to re-send the original order.
>
>I suspect that the adminsitrator at the Widget Co end would expect to be
>able to re-send the corrected POR and that if he can't then he would be
>escalating an issue to his management about failure of "this crappy BSI
>thingy".

mm1: Hmm, that's a new term....Anyway, should we consider if the use of
the extensions for the BT patterns could allow for such conditions. I
still don't know how you could create a deterministic way to say this
change is substantive or not, however. Perhaps, a notification could be
sent in the extended pattern that allows for another order response (but
this is purely an example to discuss the matter more fully than a
well-thought out case). I'll bring it to the group's attention at our
next meeting if we have time (special session with a presentation from
an outside group already scheduled- sorry).

>My position is that it is up to the business logic in the back-office system
>to accept or reject business message.

mm1: Isn't that the reason that it was rejected in the first place is
that it did not meet the expectations?

>Therefore whether it is a trivial
>change (like the UOM issue) or a huge change to the payload in the context
>of a business retry -  it simply does not matter.  It is not the job of the
>BSI to determine the business validity of the content in a payload.

mm1: The BSI is only communicating back to partners after processing
occurs. Doesn't the BSI handle syntactic validation, handed over for
processing/in process and monitoring response from the partner)? A
distinction is made in the previous v1.1 spec (section 5.9):

"A Business failure is any failure that is identified by an application
during the processing of the business document(s) and based on
information not available to the
BPSS. For instance, a “reject purchase order” response document would be
considered as a business failure."

>Therefore the question simply boils down to whether we accept the concept of
>BUSINESS retry at BSI level as a separate thing to a TECHNICAL retry at
>messaging level.

mm1: I think with the statement above (if it still holds true), the
answer is yes. Let's get more responses this week. Steve, please think
more on my suggestions as well. Thanks.