Subject: Comparing and contrasting WSDL and CPA

I recall that Dick Brooks posted something in this regard earlier this
year and also Jean-Jacques provided the
following reference:

 http://www.big.tuwien.ac.at/research/publications/2003/1103-slides.pdf

Here's how I would compare this today - distilling together Dicks'
original and then adding in BPSS V2 factoring.

Also of course - we are now considering with the work Jean-Jacques is
doing and the ASAP team stuff - how
to create a subset profile for a WSDL that can accommodate a limited
exchange.

I'd say another key aspect is the interchange model here - WSDL
anticipates a simple synchronous exchange,
whereas CPA is handling asynchronous, with an extended set of signals
and characteristics.

Further thoughts?

Thanks, DW
==========================

WSDL provides:
- Service name
- Service parameters
- Endpoint for invocation
WSDL identifies:
- Business processes

ebXML CPA provides:
- Service name and parameters
- Endpoint for invocation
- Role of an organization in the context of a service
- Organization demographic information
- Failure scenarios
- Business process scenario and business transaction activity step
- Link to partner responsibilities
- Transaction Messages being exchanged
- Transport level QOS parameters
- Certificate and Encryption configuration
- Business status of agreement

ebXML BP identifies
- Business processes including multi-party, multi-step exchanges
- Roles an organization must play
- Business transactions Messages being exchanged
- Context variables
- Business rules of edge conditions
- Transaction handling services
- Error handling