Subject: [ebbp] 10/14/2004: BPMN Feedback Requested As Input for Next Week

Last week, I sent the BPMN example that JJ provided. We also discussed
BPMN support for business collaboration in 11 October 2004 call.  A
followup meeting is planned with BPMN 21 October [1].  To recap, there
are a few open items to be resolved or discussed in this or a subsequent
BPMN version to support business collaboration.

    * Exceptions: Do they need to be explicit; they are alternate paths.
    * ComplexBTA: We should model other than the simple case (point made
      in TC call 11 Oct by Moberg)
    * Modeling the different BT patterns
    * Can we use tokens to represent guards on state transitions or is
      this needed in a visualization?
    * Can the use of Sequence attached to Message flow be seen as a
      constraint? In ebBP, we do not dictate the underlying messaging.
      We look at the business messages that are expected. Need to
      discuss 'sequence' element in BPMN.
    * Is endpoint abstraction (type) required?
          o Some say no.
          o Others say yes.

    Note 1: BSI verifies collaboration conformance to the description
    Note 2: The BSI could be seen as an abstract event, a boundary. The
    start,  intermediate and end are instantiations of that endpoint
    boundary in BPMN. The pool (buyer, seller for example) seem to only
    partially show the relationship and the abstract boundary of which
    Sally St. Amand has asked.

As discussed Monday, I am looking for your feedback on the list or in
Monday's call. I'd ask if possible you respond prior to 10/18 in order
to allow Sally, JJ and I to prepare for editors' F2F and BPMN call.
Thank you.

[1] Will send once I get details from that team. Stephen can you provide?

Reference with diagrams and summary:
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200410/msg00047.html
References in preceding email:

   1. Our initial draft submission (example only):
      http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200409/msg00008.html
   2. White example 2 (BPMN):
      http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200409/msg00078.html
   3. Highlights of the BPMN spec relevant to ebBP (Thanks to Sally St.
      Amand):
      http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200410/msg00030.html
   4. BPMN session notes, 7 Oct (also available in Kavi Documents
      section):
      http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200410/msg00045.html
   5. Dubray updated diagram for BPMN (working draft):
      http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200410/msg00042.html
      and http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200410/msg00037.html

JPEG image

JPEG image