Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] RE: [ebBP] 10/26/2004: "isLegallyBinding" Attribute Description

I like the direction of your suggested text Dale.

I would like to also include the list of other attributes that must be set in order for this attribute to mean anything at all, which includes at a minimum 1) authorization (they have authority), 2) authentication (they are who they say they are), 3) non-repudiation of origin and content (the document is verifiable as being exactly as provided by the authorized party).

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Moberg [mailto:dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:18 PM
To: Monica J. Martin; ebXML BP
Cc: James Bryce Clark

1. In keeping with the legacy style of attribute names, I would suggest "hasLegalIntent" as the attribute name.

2. How about this:

The optional attribute "hasLegalIntent" is used when business process designers desire to indicate that their business process description may be subject to contractual frameworks or agreements that are not included in the business process specification.

For example, digital signatures used to implement nonrepudiation might have been agreed to be the way that nonrepudiation is implemented for a given business process.

Business process designers are encouraged to seek appropriate legal advice on whether they should or should not include this attribute in their business process descriptions.

IMO, we should only be indicating that a mechanism exists, and that if designers wish to use this attribute in BPSS instances, they should confer with attorneys to discuss the value and significance of using the attribute.

As specification writers and non-lawyers, we cannot prescribe just what the legal significance of using this attribute is. Otherwise we are providing legal advice, which we are not trained to do (except maybe Jamie).