Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] ebBP 2/3/2005: Minor Update to DescriptiveTextMSI-BSI Relationship

Ahhh...  I think I might understand what you are looking for now.

Are you are looking for the specific elements in the ebBP that specify configuration of an ebMS_MSI_Implementation so that it is in compliance with the BSI?  (of course CPA enters this picture)

This is an excellent point Sacha, and one we should make sure is addressed.  The ebMS, ebBP, CPA should be able to act as a reference set and should (as completely as possible) define MSI/BSI behavior without requiring human interpretation...

I haven't reviewed the spec from this point of view.

Dale, you probably have a more complete knowledge of these dependencies...

Thanks,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Sacha Schlegel [mailto:sschlegel@cyclonecommerce.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 4:03 PM
To: Yunker, John
Cc: ebXML BP

Hi John

See some comments inline...

Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2005, 15:33 -0800 schrieb Yunker, John:
> Sacha,
>
> The point the specification is making in the refereced text is:
> The interaction between the MSI and BSI is not specified in the BPSS spec.
Thanks. This is the statement I was looking for but not liking ;) But as long as this is clear to everyone it is fine for me.

> Also, for any specific partner, the BSI may not exist as a separate
> entity, but may only exist "logically" and be implemented in the behavior of the MSI.
Agree.

So we have loosly coupled ebXML specifications (ebBP and ebMS in this case). This does not mean that implementations of the specifications are also loosly coupled. Eg it can happen that one implementation implements more than one specification. My question makes only sense when looking at individual implmenetations of specifications. In that case, as you stated above, the interaction is not specified, which means that I can end up having an ebBP specification implementation and an ebMS specification implementation which I cannot used together.

I am talking just about the setup up at one party. As mentioned above this party does not know about the other party but knows that the other party is following the same ebBP instance and that is all it has to know.

> The BSI as described in the BPSS is the logical orchestration of the
> (set of) transactions, and prescribes behavior of the MSI in the
> context of the overall collaboration, as well as providing
> requirements to the MSI related to quality of service (such as
> non-repudiation, privacy, authorization, etc), and other service
> configuration information.

> I recognize that it would be helpful to have a reference
> implementation (or even model) of the BSI collaboration state engine, however that is out of scope and left to individual implementers of the eBusiness Protocol Stack.
Agree.

> Please note that the exchange of messages through the MSI "is" the way
> partners align the state of their BSI, there is no other mechanism provided.
Agree.

> We are focused on creating a machine readable "shared definition" of
> behavior, which is the basis for consistent behavior across the messaging interface.
>
> Hope this helps.
> John
Helps, thanks.
Sacha