Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] ebbp 2/9/2005: Variables and Expressions (Question set 2 of 2 Webber & TC Discussion)

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Monica J. Martin [mailto:Monica.Martin@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 11:36 AM
To: David Webber (XML)
Cc: ebXML BP

>Webber: Monica,
>To make the variables system more clear - I think we need
>a separate sub-section heading.
>
>Can we add between lines 1359 and 1360
>
>they are collections of pairs of nodes, and describe the potential
>paths of a BP.
>
>4.6.8.2 Use of Variables and Expressions
>
>Transitions MAY also have a condition expression element. Condition
>expression depend on variables.

==========
mm1: David, here is a try that includes what we (the TC) discussed
yesterday for Section 4.6.8.1. Add new Section 4.6.8.1.1 based on part
of  existing wd 08 Section 4.6.8.1:

FROM: These linking constructs, or pseudo states, would be Start,
CompletionState (and sub-specializations of that, Success and Failure),
Fork, Join, Decision (or Choice), and Transition. They correspond to
bundles of labeled edges of a directed possibly cyclic graph. At their
core, they are collections of pairs of nodes, and describe the potential
paths of a BP.

Transitions MAY also have a condition expression element. Condition
expression depend on variables. There are two types of variables: simple
and complex. Simple variable reference a business transaction activity
and a business document exchanged as part of this business transaction
activity.  Variables allow abstract elements used in conditional
statements  as well as external specifications (e.g. business
agreements) to link to business document contents. Each variable
represents an abstract information element, and is defined by XPath
executed on a business document instance. Once defined a variable may be
used in any conditional statement as a node-list in the condition XPath.

TO: (Section 4.6.8.1) .........These linking constructs, SIMILAR TO
pseudo states, would be Start, CompletionState (and sub-specializations
of that, Success and Failure), Fork, Join, Decision (or Choice), and
Transition. They correspond to bundles of labeled edges of a directed
possibly cyclic graph. At their core, they are collections of pairs of
nodes, and describe the potential paths of a BP.

[add new section 4.6.8.1.1 by starting at this sentence in current wd 08
Section 4.6.8.1]
Section 4.6.8.1.1
USE OF VARIABLES AND CONDITION EXPRESSIONS

Transitions MAY also have a condition expression element. Condition
expression depend on variables. [add] VARIABLES ARE NAMED INFORMATION
ELEMENTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO BIND CONCEPTS ACROSS BUSINESS
TRANSACTION. THEY ALSO SERVE TO MAKE THE SEMANTICS CLEAR IN A CONDITION
EXPRESSION.  [end-add] There are two types of variables: simple and
complex. Simple variable reference a business transaction activity and a
business document exchanged as part of this business transaction
activity.  Variables allow abstract elements used in conditional
statements  as well as external specifications (e.g. business
agreements) to link to business document contents. [add] FOR EXAMPLE,
VARIABLES MAY BE USED TO APPLY CONTEXT TO A PARTICULAR BUSINESS
TRANSACTION AND THE ROLES INVOLVED. THE CAPABILITY TO BIND SEMANTIC
INFORMATION RAISES VISIBILITY TO WHAT DRIVES THE EXECUTION OF THE
BUSINESS COLLABORATION.[end-add]