Subject: ebBP 3/31/2005: Comment re: RA and AA Sequence (wd10-schema 2/22)

Another question from Sacha Schlegel at BPMI Think Tank. Both John
Yunker and I have attempted to answer Sacha's question:

    What happens if AA received before RA?

Typically, depending on partner agreement, requesting party would
recognize that the business document had been successfully  received and
processed. In some cases, the requesting party may wait (if no timeout),
for the RA as it may be handled by different systems [Martin]. Business
protocol engines are expected to deal with AA / RA receipt precedence.
Since many B2B systems are completely asynchronous there is no way to
guarantee that physical receipt will be sequenced, only that logical
receipt will be sequenced.

John's suggestion: My preference is that either best practice or
specification would stipulate the ability to survive AA / RA ordering,
as long as they are received within the time-out periods. Maybe we
should discuss how best to specify.

In answer to Sacha and recognizing John's request, I suggest we discuss
this in Tuesday's call. Proposed change for the technical specification
is shown below for comment and review prior to 5 April. Thanks and, as
always, comments welcome.

Section 4.6.6.3
Business Signals
[add before this sentence that leads into a section talking about
success, timeout, etc.]
Change from:
.......Failure to send either signal, when required (by specifying a
timeout value in timeToAcknowledgeReceipt or
timeToAcknowledgeAcceptance), will result in the transaction being null
and void......

Change to:
.......Based on agreement between the parties, the requesting party
typically MAY recognize that the business document had been successfully
received and processed. Where applicable and used, the logical sequence
of the Receipt Acknowledgement, Acceptance Acknowledgement and Response
are based on the timing expectations defined. For example, in
implementation, if an Acceptance Acknowledgement is received prior to a
Receipt Acknowledgement, the requesting party may wait (if no timeout),
for the Receipt Acknowledgement because the two business signals are
handled by different systems.

Business protocol engines are expected to deal with the precedence of
the receipt of business signals. Many eBusiness systems are completely
asynchronous, whereby there is no way to guarantee that physical receipt
will be sequenced. Logical receipt however is sequenced.