Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] ebBP 4/1/2005: Comment re: Specification Version (wd10-schema2/22)

Hi,

I suppose it is confusing to explain both BPSS tech specification
versioning and BPSS instance versioning as "versioning support",
since only versioning mechanism users can really utilize is
"instanceVersion."
Value of namespace and "specificationVersion" are fixed as long as users
  use particular version of BPSS tech specification and this could be
totally hidden when users use BPSS authoring tools. From uses'
perspective, this is not a "versioning mechanism," I believe.

Following is my proposal for Section 4.6.4:
-----
4.6.4 Vesioning

The ebBP technical specification supports versioning of ebBP instance
with instanceVersion attribute of ProcessSpecification element.
instanceVersion attribute MAY be used to distinguish different revisions
of a business process. ebBP technical specification does not define
specific format for the value of instanceVersion attribute. Authors MAY
choose arbitrary text of their convenience. [Is this right?]

instanceVersion attribute should not be confused with
specificationVersion attribute, which is the version identifier of ebBP
technical specification that ebBP instance comply with.
specificationVersion MUST always have value "2.0", if specified, for
ebBP instances that conform to this technical specification.

Two process models with different specification versions could in
principle have the same instance version.

The attribute uuid SHALL NOT ...
-----
I dropped "with either different schemas or even" from line 732, because
different schema should always based on different version of
specification, I thought.

How do you think?

Regards,
Kenji