Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] ebBP 10/10/2005: Specification and Logical BusDocuments

I've always understood logical document to be tied to a specific business purpose or function.

Then we add context and role to the equation. And then partners can agree specifically what binding between the logical documents and what they actually want to use physically as transactions to perform those logical exchanges.

The 'good enough' approach here has to be the view - clearly in theory nothing on the web is guaranteed to ever remain where you said it was.  So any location details can change over time.

However - we're looking here for a design level reference, that can be taken and bound to a runtime environment by partners explicitly agreeing - using MoUs, CPA's and such to clarify the actual locations for those engagements.

Also entities - such as UBL, or other industry domains will publish their own reference BPSS models and instances.

Whether they use a registry to publish those, and whether they reference other peoples locations - eg the BPSS is in one registry and the document references are on another site - that is entirely at their descretion.
So summarizing this - the BPSS carries the logical document definition that serves as a guide to implementers, who then need to bind to the explicit instances they want - either with the BPSS itself, or using CPA in tandem.

In practice today the ebMS transport layer is dictating this through the CPA references to document definitions and the service/action pair (that references back to the BTA in the BPSS).   I can envision that people will add BPSS-aware handlers into their ebMS engine that can track state between two partners - and reference the BPSS instance to control that (eg not only checking service/action - but if that service/action is permitted at that point in the collaboration).  Implicit in that is linkage to the content of the transactions - and we've added the XPath mechanism to BPSS to be able to provide that. And because of the new variable tools we've added - you can set role and context and have those referencable by that content service - especially for context driven validation - and CAM definately gives you that capability.

That is a quick thumbnail sketch drilldown!

I do believe that for V2 we have enough to empower that extended use case.  Beyond that gets into the realm of things we've tabled for V3 and also the new ebSOA work on patterns and deployment architectures. And then the BCM work is teaching how this links to business layers of the solution and how each component facilitates a layered approach that is vital to manage complexity and provide agility.

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks, DW