Subject: ebBP 11/7/2005: Tech Spec Reference to Other Technologies

Last week we briefly touched on whether we should consider some
descriptive changes in Section 2.3 and 2.3.1. As many of the original
ebXML components evolve, we should have a consistent message about their
composition together as well as with other emerging technologies. I've
also forwarded this question as posed by Sally St. Amand to the
ebxml-jc.  I believe that the ebMS team is proposing some similar
updates, and encourage Dale, Jacques or Ian to comment.

Here is a draft proposal on changes that seeks to recognize the value of
loose coupling of these specifications.

Section 2.3 and Section 2.3.1
Section 2.3
Change from:  The ebBP technical specification MUST be used wherever
ebXML conformant software components are being specified to execute
Business Collaborations. This specification MAY be used when ebXML and
Web Services conformant software components are being specified to
execute Business Collaborations.

The ebBP technical specification is used to specify the business process
related configuration parameters for configuring a BSI to execute and
monitor these collaborations. This section discusses:

·         How the ebBP technical specification fits in with other ebXML
specifications

Change to:
The ebBP technical specification SHOULD be used wherever ebXML
conformant software components are being specified to execute Business
Collaborations. This specification MAY be used when several conformant
software components are composed and are being specified to execute
Business Collaborations, such as the use of web services mapped to
business transactions.

The ebBP technical specification is used to specify the business process
related configuration parameters for configuring a BSI to execute and
monitor these collaborations. This section discusses:

·         How the ebBP technical specification fits in with other ebXML
specifications and may be used with other emerging technologies (such as
WSDL). An ebBP process definition does not preclude composition with
other process related technologies.

Section 2.3.1
Change from: Use of ebBP With Other ebXML Specifications
Change to: Use of ebBP With Other Specifications