Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] ebXML Business Process Business Signals in ebXML CPA's

>schlegel: Hi everyone
>Doing some CPA's for the Universal Business Processes (or whatever it
>will be called) I came across the following question:
>
>setup:
>
>One business collaboration with two business transaction activities
>(using different business transactions, eg one Notification, other
>CommercialTransaction patterns) in the ebBP definition.
>
>In the Notification the requesting business transaction activity has a
>ReceiptAcknowledgement business signal.
>In the CommercialTransaction the requesting and the responding business
>transaction activities have a ReceiptAcknowledgement business signal.
>
>In the CPA this will result with two PartyInfo elements, each having one
>CollaborationRole element referencing the one business collaboration.

mm1: A PartyInfo can have more than one CollaborationRole defined. It is
possible for that party to assume more than one collaboration role for
these two BTAs (Performs can be used for each BTA).

>Then in each CollaborationRole we list all business documents, either
>with a CanSend or CanReceive element. Because we are using ebXML
>Business Process we MUST use the ActionContext element as well.
>
>Obviously, the Business Signals have also to be listed in the
>CollaborationRole. The reason is, that Business Signals are not ebXML
>Message Service signals, so the messages must be explicitly listed, as
>opposed to ebXML Message Service signals, such as acknowledgements,
>ping, pong.
>
>The question is how to best list the Business Signals.
>
>Can we share the ReceiptAcknowledgement business signal within a
>CollaborationRole or do we have to list each ReceiptAcknowledgement
>business signal separately?

mm1: The ReceiptAcknowledgements are related to different BTA.  The
ProcessSpecificationInfo, the associated links and roles specify with
what the business signal is associated. So they are actually different
business signals with different details relevant to the two BT used
(even if structurally the same if the ebBP provided signals are used).

>The CPPA specification notes in 8.4.12.1 that for business signals, the
>action name shall be "ReceiptAcknowledgement",
>"AcceptanceAcknowledgement" etc.
>
>This means, that we share a Business Signal of one direction within a
>CollaborationRole.

mm1: One direction for a given activity. See previous comment. Note,
however, that we have seen one implementation where the signals where
processed over the same channel (Sybase).

>So in this example the "ReceiptAcknowledgement"
>action will be a CanSend as well as a CanReceive within a
>CollaborationRole.
>
>Maybe instead of simply calling it "ReceiptAcknowledgement" it maybe
>should be a URN or some sort, indicating a unique ebXML Business Process
>Signal.

mm1: Defer to Dale.  I am not sure where this informaiton needs to be
held (in Action Binding or CanSend or CanReceive. BT characteristics
including referenced BTA exist on the former).

>So what about ActionContext for a Business Signal. The cardinality of
>the ActionContext is minOccurs="0" and no maxOccurs that means 1 maximal
>occurance. So because it is shared there is no one ActionContext that
>fits this business signal, so it seems there is no ActionContext element
>for Business Signal Action Bindings.

mm1: I think there should be where the business signals are used (and if
not delegated to messaging).

>To find out, to which business collaboration, business transaction
>activity and whether it was the requesting or the responding business
>transaction activity, one has to look into the business signal
>document.

mm1: The information does exist there as indicated in my previous comment.

>Looking at the schema of the business signals, it seems the only
>required values in an ReceiptAcknowledgement business signal document is
>OriginalMessageIdentifier, OriginalMessageDateTime, ThisMessageDateTime,
>and NonRepudiation information (eg an digital signature). One would
>hope, that ebXML Business Process ProcessSpecificationInfo,
>OriginalDocumentIdentifier, CollaborationIdentifier,
>BusinessActivityIdentifier (eg Business Transaction Activity), FromRole,
>ToRole, FromPartyInfo, ToPartyInfo, and the xlink:href are also
>provided.

mm1:  Dale, should we consider whether or not the element should be
required? Hima?

>Dale, I assume the href is pointing to the ReceiptAcknowledgement
>element of the either RequestingBusinessActivity or the
>RespondingBusinessActivity. Why is it not the ID of the
>ReceiptAcknowledgement element in either RequestingBusinessActivity or
>the RespondingBusinessActivity?
>
>Maybe less of questions but rather outlining how ebBP, ebCPPA's, and
>ebMS play together.
>
>o Should an action differentiate the underlying DocumentEnvelope? or one
>action for all possible documents (this is in the response bta only).

mm1: For a BT, the process definition specifies the characteristics
(guidance) applied to the BT itself, the logical business documents
(document security), etc.
This is per BT not per message. The DocumentEnvelope is associated with
the corresponding Requesting or RespondingBusinessActivity. Now that we
have the case where external document information can specify what
logical business document is used (SBS example), more work may need to
be considered for CPA.

Dale, in the schema by the way for CPP/A, binaryCollaboration should be
businessCollaboration. Thanks.