Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] ebBP 2.0.1 Question: is it possible to have GeneralExceptions (in both directions) in Responding Business Activities which haveno Document Envelope(s)?

>schlegel: Hi everyone
>I came across the above question. Excuse me if the answer is already
>described in the current specification.
>
>Sacha

As you can see in the specification Sacha, see Section 3.6.2.3:

[start] The General Exception signal MAY be used under other conditions
such as:

·         isIntelligibleCheckRequired exists and a Receipt Acknowledgement has been sent, but something fails in processing. This is assuming that an Acceptance Acknowledgement is required, processing has begun but not completed, and the AA has not yet been sent.

·         isIntelligibleCheckRequired has not been defined and a ReciptAcknowledgement has been sent, but something fails in processing. An AcceptanceAcknowledgement may or may not be required later.

·         No signals are required and the need exists to notify a business partner of a problem. This could support the known RosettaNet case of synchronous events.

 The key is that the technical failure be visible for
sufficient state resolution. For example, an unexpected gateway shutdown may
require a General Exception signal be issued. Under these circumstances, an
event outside of the collaboration (gateway shutdown) impacts it
(collaboration).

A General Exception is a limited case and distinct type of
technical failure, i.e. AnyProtocolFailure). The involved parties determine if
such exceptions are used in order to recognize and handle the possibility of a
catastrophic failure.[end]

This is a very (VERY) limited use signal Sacha, not general purpose. We've not discussed the condition of a Req and Resp activities without document envelopes. Bring up today or next week
if we run out of time today. Thanks.