Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] Re: First cut at a combination of two UBP process definitions

Steve,

Makes complete sense.  This is an excellent use case for why we need "Linking and Switching" support in BPSS V3!

That's on our to-do list of course.

You have to have state management to figure out where you are - and if it fails what to do - and as you say - if you have succeeded already!

The way things stand - I think the 2.0.3 sets the scene nicely for us - and we've covered off where the gaps are and what will be worked on next (assuming Monica is still speaking to any of us - having got this far already!!!).

Cheers, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ebxml-bp] Re: First cut at a combination of two UBP process
definitions
From: "Stephen Green" <stephengreenubl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, April 20, 2006 4:16 pm
To: "ebXML BP" <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi

I have looked at a further example of a composition process definition
and I tried first order with response followed by possible cancellation
followed by despatch advice. The despatch advice didn't make sense
as part of this process definition because whereas orders would have
to be cancelled prior to despatch, the order cancellation comes from
the buyer but the despatch advice from either seller or despatch office.
Therefore I couldn't see a benefit of adding despatch advic to the
process definition rather than just keeping it as a separate definition.

Then I was left with order and combining it with the definition for an
order cancellation. Here again there are reasons it doesn't seem to
benefit from combination of the two definitions into one. The only
benefit is in saying that the order cancellation has to follow an
acceptance order response (order response simple, to be precise),
so it seems anyway. This baffled me a bit. The problem is there are
so many possibilities to cater for which add complexity beyond the
apparent benefit, even with this simple example. It's a question of
what actually constitutes success if there is possibility of cancellation.
The success is in creating the order if the reponse says the order is
accepted but then what does cancellation mean - subsequent failure
to create the order or success to cancel the order. Personally I'd just
as soon keep the order cancellation as a separate process with its
own success and failure criteria and just use prose order/sales
conditions to add the complexities of business rules. Hence I'm afraid
I dropped creating this example, leaving just the one I sent earlier
with the Receipt Advice and Invoice since here the trigger factor made
a bit of sense in the combination (though it would still necessitate
significant over-simplification).

All the best

Steve