Subject: [Fwd: [members] New TC Comment Facility]

Update on comments list procedures in OASIS. Thanks.
--- Begin Message ---
OASIS staff is evaluating a variety of long-term solutions for enhancing public
feedback on Committee work. On Friday, 21 July 2006, the first step was taken.
In an effort to curb spam flowing to the TC comment lists, OASIS IT staff
retired the "Send a Comment" web form interface. In its place we have installed
a web page indicating that all feedback and input to a TC will come directly
through a TC's comment email list, for which subscription is required. Since
feedback to a TC is subject to the terms of the OASIS IPR Feedback License [1]
which was presented in connection with the web form interface, the new "email
only" comment mechanism requires that subscribers to any comment list confirm
their agreement as part of the subscription process.

We believe this change has numerous benefits, including:
- closing the access point that was allowing spam to get through,
- allowing comment submitters to use their email tool of choice and the
additional functionality it provides,
- providing an authenticated email address for the sender with a reliable means
of responding to the submitter, and
- offering the ability to enter a meaningful subject line that is included in
the email archive.

We have also rewritten the "Send A Comment" landing page to contain useful
information, including:
- instructions for subscribing and other details related to the email list,
- an overview of what happens to submitted feedback, and
- reference to related mailing lists for the TC (-dev, -users, etc.).

If you were subscribed to any of the TC comment lists, you should have received
notification that you were to be unsubscribed, and another notification to
re-subscribe if you so wished after the rollout was complete. TC Chairs and
Secretaries were automatically re-subscribed to their TC's comment list.

While significant testing was done prior to rollout, it's not uncommon for an
unexpected problem to occur. If you have any difficulties subscribing to or
accessing the lists, or other problems relating the the Comment Facility, please
send an email detailing the problem to support@oasis-open.org. Please note that
the comment lists themselves have not changed; all existing archives are still
in place and can be accessed via the same (existing) URL.

The new landing page for "Send A Comment" links from a TC's Public Home Page can
be found at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=[tcshortname].
For example:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=emergency

Further work is planned to enhance functionality of the TC Comment Facility,
including purging of spam from the comment list archives.

We thank you for your patience while OASIS IT staff has been trying to address
the significant increase in the amount of spam received; hopefully we have
stopped the flow.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae