ebxml-cppa-comment message

Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa-comment] Re: About negotiation algorithm

Dale is correct.  However I believe that the SC will have to give some consideration to the strategy layer in order at least to determine what, if any, impediments the present draft is putting in the way of interoperably negotiating without each party revealing its strategy. The SC will have to do some work on this, if only to determine whether rechartering the CPPA TC is necessary.

Regards,
Marty

At 11:30 AM 4/22/2004, Dale Moberg wrote:
I think that if the Negotiation subteam were to extend its scope to utility functions, algorithms for optimization, and tactics of offers,
acceptances, and counterproposals, that we definitely should allow separate undisclosed computational procedures. The NDD probably
leaks information about each party's utility assessments, but not in any great detail or completeness. Whether we would specify a public
default procedure would IMO require a recharter of CPPA to enlarge its scope. Currently the negotiation protocol (understood as
the messages and their exchange patterns) is what is in scope.  Comments?

Dale Moberg
-----Original Message-----
From: Vetter, Michael [mailto:Michael.Vetter@iao.fraunhofer.de]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:08 AM
Cc: ebxml-cppa-comment

Hi Marty and Kukoc

I am a little confused by your definition of a negotiation algorithm.
In my understanding the strategy in a competitive scenario is purely private and no part of it must be known to the other party. If the parties want to cooperate and to reach a global optimum of the negotiation result they could reveal their utility functions and use a common strategy to compute the result.
The protocol should cover all rules about the order of messages and their content.
A given strategy can be implemented by a large number of algorithms that require more or less resources like processing power and memory.

A specification for the strategy part is only needed if you want to provide a standard strategy for negotiation which can be adapted with parameters.

Best regards

Michael Vetter

        Dipl.-Inform. Michael Vetter
        CC Electronic Business Integration
        Fraunhofer IAO (Institut fuer Arbeitswirtschaft und Organisation)
        mail:           Nobelstrasse 12, D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany
        phone:      +49 (0) 711 970 2324
        fax:            +49 (0) 711 970 5111
        email:      Michael.Vetter@iao.fraunhofer.de
        www:          www.ebi.iao.fraunhofer.de